Difficult times these are. Transformation in the way business is executed will mean many of us would be irrelevant soon. Conventional education system and societal upbringing has simply not prepared us for the changes which are happening.
Those who are change averse are sure to be left out of the future. Even those few who embrace the change would need to be completely different versions of themselves to continue to excel in future.
Could I have been prepared for this when I was younger? I think so. So here is the list of advice I would have given my younger self:
- Read/ Write more and envision the future - Reading expands the horizons and writing makes these thoughts clear. These two are bedrocks of for an exciting vision of future.
- Practice communication - All types of communication included.
- Non verbal/ Gesture
- Public speaking- This is must for success in future
- Build strong relationships based on trust.
- Network, network and network. Even with seemingly unconnected people, share extensively and selflessly. You will be amazed at the returns.
- Learn, not memorize- Much of the adult learning happens through experience and not memorizing. So focus on building a career based on experiences and not mugging up corporate policy manuals/ OEM manuals
- Respect time- Only commodity which we control and is always in short. It would be even more so in future because of tsunami of information. We become how and with whom we spend our time. Respect yours as well as others time through your actions, behaviors and content created for consumption by others.
- Don't allow yourself to be a clone of your job!!!! You are far more than your job. Cultivate hobbies, travel, read, write, teach, coach, play, track....No body will remember you for the designations you held.
- Know when to leave, develop people around you. Don't be a clerk doing same thing all your life. You grow when you develop people who work for you. The pride and glow of seeing them deliver outstanding results when you are not there can't be valued in earthly measures. Develop and then step aside, do something different every four years.
- Solve tough problems- Every one can solve easier ones. Differentiate yourself by solving the harder ones. Be driven, break shackles and remove obstacles which stop others from achieving greatness. Chances are you will be remembered for being a pain, but it is better than not being remembered at all. It takes determination to be a tough problem solver, but it is easy, because it is not a crowded zone.
- Find a coach who is a mirror to you.
Many more could be added. Would be interested in knowing the ones you think are missing in the list above.
Festive season is almost there in India. Let there be love, light and laughter everywhere.
Wishing you great success in everything.